Scoglitti, a coastal fishing village in the middle of the channel of Sicily, invites you to swim in its beautiful crystal clear sea, between nature and culture, from march to december.
The province of Ragusa has over ninty kilometers of fastcinating coastline, alternately sandy and rocky.
uncrowded huge sand beaches - crystal clear Sea
Scoglitti, town of traditions and charm, culture and myths , history and modernity offers spectacular landscape and beautiful beaches with its crystal clear and uncontaminated Mediterranean Sea.
Scoglitti is a district of Vittoria and extends today with its communities over dozens
of kilometers up to the mouth of the river Ippari . Once upon a time, it was the
channel port of the ancient Greek city of Kamarina.
Today it has numerous beaches, some with dunes , and his landscape is ornamented
by the Mediterranean vegetation.
Inside the village there is the small church in the nineteenth century style
St. Francis. The wooden statue of the " San Franciscuzzu " comes from a shipwreck,
a Spanish fleet from the last century.
The main church of the town , Saint Mary of the safe harbor was built in 1934 ;
rapraesentativ is the lighthouse ("a lanterna " ) and many other buildings Art Nouveau .
For a long time Scoglitti served with its small port as the fastest way for exporting the typical regional products such as cheese and wine.
Commercially Scoglitti is mainly powered by the fishing, agriculture and summertourism.
All typical products such as fish, wine and vegetables are highly appreciated by the visitors. For this reason Scoglitti is one of the most visited places in Sicily.
Scoglitti's marina and shelterharbour is also an interesting fishing port. Do not miss the characteristic fish auction!
Always fresh vegetables and fish with an unforgettable flavor enrich your table. Which delicious treat!
Its territory, the plain of Vittoria, was defined by the Greeks "Plaga Mesopotamica sicula". It was located between two rivers "Ippari" and "Dirillo". The city was founded on a very fertile surface, now known as district "Boscopiano". In the south of the city lies the nature reserve "Pino d'Aleppo", along the river Ippari up to its mouth. Vittoria looks over the chanel of Sicily between the cities of Ragusa and Acate. While on the other side are Comiso and Chiaramonte Gulfi the neighboring communities.
For nearly four centuries Comiso has been ruled by the family Naselli (1453-1812). However, the architecture of the city is attributed to the eighteenth century, as the province of Ragusa was rebuilt after the catastrophic earthquake in 1693.
The craft of stone processing, the so-called Comisostone (yellow marble-like limestone) is among the most important economic source of the city.
The town hall square is the "Piazza Fonte Diana" (fountain Diana). Here took place the storage of water for the Roman thermal baths
(II. Century AD).
Under the current city hall, we still find traces of the ancient Romans. The mosaic floor, which decorates the hall is still located in the library.
In May 2013, the new airport of Comiso was opened. Now it is really very easy to visit us in Scoglitti, even for a weekend getaway!
left: The basilica Saint Mary Annunciation
left below: the new Airport of Comiso, 15 km from Scoglitti
below: The city hall square in the center of the town (Fonte Diana)
Copyright © All Rights Reserved